Tuesday, September 22, 2009

reflection on Robinson's article

After reading the article, it makes me believe even more that “students learn best when they are actively engaged in thinking about and doing mathematics.” I believe it is easier to remember or understand the concepts if it is learnt by guided discovery. It is also nice to know that there are teachers out there who are willing to improve themselves. It is very easy to just sit back and relax after you “get on” with the system. I thought her new versions of the quiz questions were fantastic, it encourages students to think and to support their statements or explain their reasoning. Before reading this article, I was not sure how I can lecture less during class; I found it difficult to come up with ideas to get students more involved. The author shared some of her strategies and ways to have students involved in group discussion, I found them useful and I will probably implement those ideas during the practicum. After all I think that teaching is an ongoing process, we have to adjust our teaching style if needed as we go along our teaching career.

No comments:

Post a Comment